The Village of Wellington would not be what it is today if not for the efforts of Dr. D. Z. Johns. In 1845, the Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati Rail Road Company was looking for a route from Cleveland to Columbus. There were three possibilities. Wellington was the least likely to occur, but Dr. Johns organized meetings and encouraged donations of property to the railroad. Dr. Johns himself donated very valuable lands. He encouraged residents to acquire stock in the company and flooded company offices with suggestions. The location was secured, with the line running nearly through the center of town. After the railroad opened, the village prospered. On August 6, 1855, Wellington was officially recognized as a village and John M. Swift was elected the first mayor. In the census of 1860, the village is listed as having 1,029 residents and in the 1870 census there were 1,281.
It was the coming of the railroad that really allowed the village to grow. This gave farmers easy access to larger markets in the cities and allowed more settlers to come into the area. Wellington is a town that was built by our access to the railroads.