Wellington's first town hall was built in 1829 at a cost of $119.50. This two story building served a dual purpose by using the first floor for a school and the upper level for conducting village business. In 1846, this first hall was torn down and replaced with a larger building of the same basic design. The present Town Hall was built in 1885 at a cost of $40,000. The Town Hall features highly unusual architecture, in that it represents the Byzantine, Greek, Gothic, and Spanish building styles. An Opera House was built behind the Town Hall and stood for many years. At the time, it was the largest Opera House between Cleveland and Columbus. Today, the building is home for the mayor's office, clerk's office, council chambers, and Wellington Police Department.